- Create Europe’s first, and the world’s largest, X-rey free-electron laser;
- business association in the DESY (Deutsches Elektronen-Synchroton) research centre;
- Hungary acquires a 1% share in the company through its membership.
Description of activities:
Research on the field of biology, genomics, medical diagnostics and therapeutic applications, nanotechnology and related material sciences etc.
The highest decision-making body of European XFEL GmbH is the XFEL Council. The Administrative and Finance Committee handles administrative and financial affairs, and supports the decision-making efforts of the Council through recommendations. The In-kind Committee supervises and manages in-kind supplies.
Year of joining: 2009
Membership fee: EUR 1,586,374
Advantages of membership:
- Hungarian researchers have access to a large research facility that is costly and competitive at international level.
- Measurements and experiments may be conducted during the beam time afforded by the membership.
- Possible new findings on the field of biology, genomics, medical diagnostics and therapeutic applications, nanotechnology and related material sciences etc.
- Efforts toward providing in-kind contributions, specific suppliers are yet to be found.
- Industrial supplies for the operation (future option).
The XFEL Council is represented in Hungary by NAGY Dénes Lajos (MTA Wigner Research Centre for Physics). The Hungarian members of the Administrative and Finance Committee and the In-kind Committee are TÓTHNÉ VIZKELETY Barbara and FAIGEL Gyula (MTA Wigner Research Centre for Physics), respectively.