In addition to the funding schemes designed to support innovation projects without any thematic restrictions, the NRDI Office’s portfolio of competitive calls includes schemes aimed at promoting R&D activities which are of strategic importance in strengthening the competitive edge of the national economy in certain scientific and other fields.
Under the recently announced “Competitiveness and excellence cooperations” (VKE_17) call altogether HUF 17 billion has been made available to consortiums of businesses, research centres and higher education institutions for implementing new digital production technology, agricultural innovation and biotechnology development projects. Importantly, businesses must undertake the role of consortium leader to submit project proposals for the funding scheme financed from the National Research, Development and Innovation Fund.
Thematic R&D and competitiveness programmes:
- Hungarian Brain Research Programme for the development of procedures aimed at the prevention and treatment of brain disorders accounting for one-third of the global burden of disease
- Hungarian Nuclear Research Programme for funding research projects related to the secure application of nuclear energy
- National Programme for the development of procedures greatly improving the efficiency of curing high mortality risk diseases
- Materials Science and Technology National Programme for the implementation of R&D projects in the field of health care industry, building energetics and environmental technology
- Water–Health–Food National Programme fostering the development of innovative solutions through the cooperation of the researcher and expert communities in the field of ecology, health science and food industry