This text is a practical, easy-to-understand guide on how Hungarian institutions can join consortia and implement tasks in Horizon Europe while the Council Decision 2022/2506 is in effect.
- All Hungarian entities - universities, research centres, companies, public authorities, professional organizations and others - are eligible to participate in the Horizon Europe framework programme.
- The Council Implementing Decision 2022/2056 - which concerns 21 excellent Hungarian universities with massive track record in successful European cooperation - came into force on December 16, 2022. According to the decision these universities cannot receive direct EU funding, however, DG Research and Innovation confirmed that these universities are still eligible to apply, and the proposals they are participating in will continue to be admissible and will be evaluated as all the other proposals.
- If the proposal is selected for funding and the Council Implementing Decision is still in effect, such universities will be able to carry out their tasks as set forth by the work plan as associated partners without receiving EU financial support. Their costs will be covered by the Guarantee Fund set up by the Hungarian Government - similarly to the UK and Swiss practice. Therefore their consortia will experience neither obstacles, nor delay in implementing the project.
- The Government provides funding for the participation of these universities through the National Research, Development and Innovation Fund, with a total budget of more than 12 million EUR. The amount of funding available for the Hungarian partner is equal to the amount of the partner's requested EU contribution to the winning Horizon Europe project. The NRDI Office will provide a 100% advance payment when disbursing the grant.
- It is also important to highlight that all other Hungarian entities, including universities, research organisations or public institutions are not affected by the Council Decision they can participate as beneficiaries and receive funding from Horizon Europe, just like any other institution of any EU Member State.
This informaton is fully in line with the European Commission’s interpretation on the implementation of the Council Decision as available on the Funding and Tenders Portal. Please do not hesitate to contact Balázs Kápli Legal and Financial NCP if you have any questions, we would be glad to provide further information.
We are looking forward to cooperating with you!